Friday, July 22, 2011

Weekly Roundup 22 Jul 2011

After attending the Legacy Webinar "The Power of DNA in Unlocking Family Relationships" I decided to try to find a living female descendant that would carry my Great Grandmother, Mary R. Hontoon/Huntoon's mtDNA. I have identified a few women that are descended from Mary's daughter, Bertha Bell Porter Lybarger. While doing this research I found that I had a lot of to-do's still open for this family, so I sent a few requests to the Knox County Records Center. Most items were found, but will have to look elsewhere for a few marriage records. I sent my SASE and fee today to the Records Center; hope to have those items next week.

I was contacted by a descendant of my half great-great uncle, William Lee Porter, who had seen my blog. I was happy to share the Mexican & Civil War pension files. Again, by revisiting his pension files I realized that I did not have his Compiled Service Record for his Mexican War service, so I requested that from NARA. (Already have the CSR for his Civil War service).

A couple weeks ago I had filled in the request for military service records for my brother, Patrick Porter. He served in the Navy, and did one tour of Vietnam. His records should have survived the 1970s fire. Received a letter late last week requesting a death certificate, or something similar that would show that he was dead, i.e. obituary. I then sent a request for Pat's death certificate to the Columbus Public Health Department. Surprisingly I have already received it.

While I was requesting Pat's death certificate, I decided to also request my Grandmother, Rose Linn Porter Milter's death certificate, which I also received.

No comments:

Post a Comment